I Forge Iron

Hey guys, I built two burners this week after work. Both are 3/4". One is a Ron Reil style with the mig tip mod. The other is my interpertation of a hybrid style ...except not as nice ...or as good functioning but I did it anyways lol....What i would like to get is some opinion on flames of each burner. I know what i think but i am curious to learn what others see. My goal here is education for myself and being able to build the best burner that i can. I am also open to any suggestions or critiques.post-30971-0-86196200-1368076068_thumb.j

I do not have any psi info on the flames in question because i have them each running on a small 1 lb propane cylinder.Though i will be making a tractor supply store run this week. Also you may note thay the hybrid type does not have a choke sleeve on at this pic but it does have one...Thank you in advance for any and all input.

P.s
excuse the mess ..the maid is on strike, something about labor laws and my mom? Not sure couldnt hear her over the drill press

post-30971-0-30025400-1368076931_thumb.j

You need a regulator or just turn the pressure down some. Neither of these is a linear (Reil) burner. The fuel air mix looks okay but will richen up when you turn the pressure down but not a lot I think.

The flame shape looks pretty good, centered, symmetrical and two definite burn stages.

for suggestions: #1 buy a copy of Mike Porter's Burner book ( can't summon the name <sigh>) and build one of his type v. #2 buy a regulator and gauge. Running straight off a bottle is dangerous. You might not think so but one of these will be more than happy to run on liquid propane, you just will NOT like the results.

Take a look at the Sidearm burner and make one of those. That's what you'd seen and thought you were building a Reil burner. What you built isn't any more difficult to make than my "T" burner but any of them made properly and well tuned will perform about the same.

All in all, you did well. Keep up the good work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for your response frosty. I had hoped youd chime in. I followed your suggestion and ordered the book from amazon today and paid the extra to get it here tomorrow. I did go pick up the regulator and hose today also a gauge. I did intend on building your T burner and have searched on it before hand... And your right on another count i believe i built the zoeller version.

You're welcome. It's my pleasure to share what I can, I've learned so much since hanging here, returning a little is a good thing.

If you follow Mike's instructions you'll have screaming efficient burners. His are kind of fussy to build but work very well. all naturally aspirated burners are kind of fussy but that's the nature of the beast. Your burners are already burning pretty well, they just need some more control and maybe a little tuning. Let us see how your burner's are working with the regulator and a little tweaking.

Frosty The Lucky.