I Forge Iron

newby building first forge

ral1121

Howdy,

Newby here building my first gas forge. I have already picked up a section of steel pipe that has an ID of 12 in. that is 24 in. long.  I am already planning on cutting it down to either 18 in or 20 in and using a two burner system. I guess what I am wondering is what height on the inside of the forge chamber would be best.  I plan on pattern welding mainly and might dabble a little in other areas of blacksmithing but mainly staying in knifemaking.  I am trying to decide if I want a floor to ceiling height of 5 in. or 6 in.  Does it really make that much of a difference?  Am I thinking too much into it?  I do know that I will need some height in the forge because I will be stacking layers.  As far as the difference in volume, I wont be anywhere near my limit of 700 cubic inches with which ever plan I end up going with.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be happily surprised to discover how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Your forge chamber is going to be long and narrow so it's probably going to develop a pretty uneven heat. You'll get better results orientating the burners to develop a strong vortex. The cyclonic action will spread the heat more evenly.

Frosty The Lucky.