I Forge Iron

Inner works for front door handle

jimcraig58

I have a client who wants a forged entry door handle. Does any body out there know where I can get just the inner hardware from a good quality lock set? The client wants a hand made handle, but with modern lock parts. I have looked at many local stores and lock smith places in my area with no luck. I would appreciate  any help.

The higher end line of Baldwin hardware make a lock set that will except a standard thumb latch thumber. There very expensive brass thumb latches just have a short stub on the backside that operates the lock/latch works inside. 

Chances are you'll have to go to a specialty hardware to even find anyone who carries the higher end Baldwin line.

Baldwin would be a very good choice but, it would be a mortise lock.  If a mortise lock is not going to work for you, go to a locksmith and see if they can get you the inner workings for a Kwikset handleset.  I have been out of the business for about 6 years now but I know that they were available back then.  Good luck, Jerry

It can get a little involved. You should know: right or left hand door; door thickness; backset measurement ( related to stile width and knuckle busting); lever or knob. The lever locksets have a stronger spring to keep the handle from ever drooping. The square spindles were a commonly threaded 3/8-20, which is an oddball, so if you tap your handles, you'll order that size of tap. I usually used two small quarter inch long 1/4-20, Allen hex-socket, set screws to hold the knob or lever handle on.  You can get various combinations of key and turnpiece. A common one is keyed outside, turnpiece inside. Keyed outside and inside is sometimes forbidden by local fire restrictions, because who wants to unlock an interior lock with a key while a fire is raging? For the turnpiece, i would forge the actuating shank which goes through the escutcheon hole and put a washer on the inside. The washer would butt against the inner escutcheon and I'd tack weld the washer to the shank. In that manner, the thumbpiece couldn't back out, yet could still turn.

There will be lots of careful measuring and layout, etc., etc.