I Forge Iron

Making screw threads?

tantofolder

Hey guys,please forgive me if this has been covered but my searching has been unsucessful.I was working on some screw- in "eye"s and thought I would just use a die and then realized the die might not really work on the taper.So in a rush I just squared the (soon to be threaded portion) and heated,grabbed as small a portion of the taper as I dared,and then twisted.The twisting seems not very even It seems like it will fuction ,but I wondered if anyone had any tips on this way or other methods to try.Maybe the die is okay?.....I didn't bother to try.Thanks.

Greetings Tan,

If you only have a few to do...   Square  up on a taper...  File to a smooth finish..   even twist....  Triangle file to finish the threads...    IT WORKS

Jim

Control the twist with water cooling...

Thanks for the responses guys.As Jim was saying I only intend to do a few for now,and they are pretty small stock(1/4"),so machinery is probably out.The method you suggest Jim is about what I did,I was just wondering if there were any variations to it.A fellow smith that I work with suggested that maybe the cross section be more of a diamond than a square.This seems to make sense,and I plan to give it a try.Thanks again!

Greetings Tan,

Keep your taper square...   If your rings are a one time installation you can drill a small pilot hole in the wood than put some barbs on the square edges of your square taper ...  THAN JUST TAP IT IN.. This was common in the old days....

Jim

Thanks Jim!! That idea(barbs) crossed my mind while I was forging,I had wondered if that might have been a period solution/evolution.I am going to stick with the screw type for now,as this is just a temporary hanging for my shop sign.I think I will make a whole new set,as I definitely need the practice.Thanks for the info on the barbs,I will certainly try them at some point.