I Forge Iron

$225 KMG V/S clone

I recently salvaged a 3.5 hp treadmill motor that I intended to put on my mill.  But when I looked around the shop, I had most of the materials for a sander...,bearings,spring, knobs, handles, 80/20 extrusion, aluminum base plate.  All I needed was some  round bar for the drive and tracking pulleys and a controller.  The KBMG-212D driver cost $145 but was worth the money.  It allows for load matching of the motor amp rating and a trimpot adjustment to limit top speed/voltage and it adjusts the amperage to match the load when sanding/grinder to maintain speed.  Things I learned: Read the directions- fuses go on the DC output not the AC input. Who would have thunkit.  Treadmill hp ratings are exagerated 40+% which is what allowed me to use this 2hp controller on a 3.5hp motor.  Mount the pulleys on a mandrel inorder to turn the 1deg crown.  Yes, it took me a little while to figure that out lol.  

post-2552-0-02042500-1364103921_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-20864400-1364103954_thumb.jp