I Forge Iron

parker vise in the trash

tig13

My work is moving into a new building and have been cleaning in places that haven't be touched in years. Anyway as I was welding some parts up one my co workers was the forklift driver for the day and as he was dumping scrap he saw this very large parker next to the dumpster so he snatched it up cleaned it up. Works perfectly. My question now is the age it's only marking are parker and 275? Oh and it took two of use to put in his truck

post-28199-0-06679200-1364010006_thumb.j

post-28199-0-91353900-1364010028_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Thanks, great chart.  

I learned that I have a 434 1/2 Chas. Parker, manufactured somewhere in 1939 - 1946.  Says it's original cost was $24.00, and I paid $20.00 for mine at a flea market so to learn that it depreciated only $4.00 in 70+ years shows USA goods hold their value.   Of course, $24.00 was a Hell of a lot of money in 1939 - 1946, but still that is pretty neat to know.

I had to machine that special nut, if you can call it that,  inside the swivel assembly as it was cracked at the threads.   Didn't know that when I purchased it, only after I mounted it and noticed that the base would not tighten up.  I was lucky enough to have one of the machinists at work machine a replacement for me.  It is a pretty complicated item to machine.  

Not too sure if this was an issue with this model of vise, but now that I have it fixed it is one solid piece of equipment.  I have attached a picture of it, feel kind of guilty showing you this because I do need to clean it up a bit after learning that this has some history to it.  Give me a couple of weeks, It will look like brand new again!

Good luck on finding out more info on your vise. it certainly has some character and attitude to it---and it's cool looking.

post-41472-0-58695100-1370358284_thumb.j