I Forge Iron

overgripping the hammer - any solutions?

As has been noted in passing in this thread, there are two schools of thought on how to hold and use a hammer. I will refer to them as "A" and "B". (You know who you are.)

"A" proponents will swear that the "only right way" is with a light to moderate head weight on an oval cross section handle that is as long as the tip of your fingers to the inside of you elbow, gripped only at the end. The hammer is not tipped about it's axis, and is swung like an axe, with the weight at the end at a high terminal velocity. Common ball peen and machinist cross peen hammers come equipped this way.

"B" proponents are the exact opposite in that there is no one 'right' way. The handle is uniformly square or octagon, with little to no taper from end to end, so that it may be gripped at any point along its length. Head weights tend to be very high, and they can be tipped to produce the desired effect from the small section of face being used on the metal being forged. Speeds can be high or low, as needed to produce the desired results. This style hammer is known as variously as 'ergonomic', 'czech'  or other names.

No prizes for guessing which camp you belong to! 

• 2 weeks later...

You have to be self aware.   Self aware of your body.   And be monitoring this all the time.

Are you clenching your teeth.  If so you probably have your whole body clenched.   You can sense this by listening to your body.  it is easy to know if your teeth are clenched if you listen.   I find it is hard to clench your grip if the rest of your body is relaxed.   Hold and guide the hammer do not grip it.    It is a tool.  Let it DO the work.   Not you.

Shoot for swinging the hammer with the very least amount of energy on the part of your body.   You lift the hammer, hopefully from some rebound off the anvil and then you guide it's fall hopefully from somewhere at or above your shoulder or head.   Use more momentum not strength.  

Use rythym not strength and force.    

Have a plan of what metal you are going to move and how you are going to move it.  Or stop and think.  While letting the forge heat up you work.

Work hot.  Stop when the metal is cold.   Don't just keep hammering unless you are finishing.

My personal opinion is:  hit less often, precisely, methodically, with a heavier hammer (3 lb +).   When you hit, mean it.  Thus come from above.  No short tap tap taps at 6 or 8 inches.   Have a GOOD heat. Don't hurry.