I Forge Iron

Primal/tactical o-tanto

Stormcrow

Although nothing I do is particularly traditional, this falls closest under the shobu-zukuri tanto style, with a ridgeline below the spine and no yokote line.  With a forge finish, a choil, and a secondary bevel, this isn't a typical tanto, though.

The steel is 5160.  There was quite a bit more curvature prior to the quench, but the canola oil quench and the blade's cross section gave a fair amount of negative sori.  I wish I had taken a picture before the hardening process to show it, but a couple of other knifemakers who saw it before and after noted how much it had straightened.  The blade length, including the choil, is 12 1/2" and the overall length is 19 3/4".  The handle wrap is coyote brown paracord for the underlay, black paracord for the overlay and three-strand Turk's head knot, all impregnated in Minwax Wood Hardener.

otanto03_zps920f187d.jpg

The sheath is black Kydex, with a coyote brown Kydex belt loop set up for edge-up horizontal carry.  More coyote brown paracord is stored on the sheath and helps break up the visual impression of the black.

otanto05_zps05c5dd4a.jpg

And it's ambidextrous!

otanto04_zps43fce57b.jpg

Nice look to it, clean looking blade curve.

What is the intended use for this knife? 

looks a bit thin for a survival type bush knife. How does the para cord handle go for grip? any dramas if it gets a bit wet?

The knot work looks good on the handle, very uniformed.

Thank y'all!

Bigfootnampa - The straightening was not unexpected.  I put plenty of curvature in it before hardening.  More would have been ok, but I think it straightened up just right.

Toolish - The inspiration comes from James Williams' design of the Hisshou for CRKT.  The Hisshou supposedly came from requests from soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan for a CQB blade as a backup to their firearms during room clearing, to have a blade that could be quickly deployed and big enough to chop through both bones of the forearm if need be.  It's a purely weapon design, something Williams comments on, saying that most "tactical" knives are a combination of figthing and utility but that the Hisshou ignored utility for pure fighting design.

Carrying a tactical short sword into a modern combat setting may be a bit of a fantasy in most cases, but it made for an interesting idea for me.

The cord wrap is very grippy, but I don't think that getting it wet would be particularly good.