I Forge Iron

Can somebody please date my Hay Budden?

Picked up another Hey Budden tonight. Traded a little Lincoln Weld Pak 100 setup for flux core only. I was hoping somebody could tell me a little bit more about it. It's in pretty good shape and I thought the lugs would come in handy for shaping things.

The numbers on it looks like 153817 with a 136712 stamped on top of it. Anyway, here are some pics and thanks for any info you guys can provide.

277C9438-31F6-40E9-92C0-FB870CCEFF62-116

A1779AA7-664E-4A02-B3A4-1A2BE2E2C2A9-116

C1077C36-4128-44EF-A6B8-5DB6A76849AC-116

A1F3410F-6561-4C76-A6D9-FEB1DC03CC9D-116

19173C0C-F5B9-45A1-9B59-2F0E833BE7AB-116

798CF09B-880F-40EB-A5FB-5CE560760636-623

Interesting, 2 serial numbers and turning lugs. The lower s/n would be 1907 and the other is 1908. Im not sure whythere would be 2 S/Ns, maybe it went back for a warranty repair? In my limited experience I have yet to see a Hay Budden manufactured with turning lugs, they appear to have been welded on.

Yeah the dimensions point it toward a farriers plain horn anvil according to their little book somebody posted on here. I wasn't sure the lugs where original or not but they look too nice not to be factory. I was wondering if maybe if it was sent back to H-B to be added and that was the reason for the new serial number??

It's definetly not like one I have seen, not that that means anything, but its just odd with the dual serial numbers and lugs.

The farriers' pattern Hay-Budden did not have a cutting table, as this one does. The cutting table was standard on the smiths' pattern anvil. The farriers' anvil had a semi-circular projection called a 'clip horn' and most of them had a swelled horn beginning at the anvil step (or drop). Because of this clip horn and swell, the cutting table was eliminated on the HB farriers' anvils. Then we have the single pritchel hole on the pictured anvil, which is not hard and fast evidence of a smiths' anvil, but it suggests one.

I own an early 140 pound farrier HB that breaks some of the rules of the later ones. Mine has a single pritchel hole, a clip horn, and no swelled horn. I think that mine was a transitional model. The company must have been still considering what changes to make. Most all of the later farriers' patterns had two pritchel holes and a swelled horn.

The lugs, so-called "turning cams," is a late 20th century idea that was applied to cast manufactured farriers' anvils. Whoever owned the pictured anvil welded them on.

After more cleaning, it's obvious the lugs have been welded on. If it is indeed a standard blacksmiths anvil, the dimensions don't match anything in their book as far as weight goes other than the farriers plain horn but it really doesn't follow any of the rules of a farriers either. So I guess I just have an odd ball size. I'll put it on the scale to find out exactly what it weighs.