I Forge Iron

My new Diamondback Ironworks Forge

danguite

I have been working on building a coal forge slowly, but after getting a nice bonus from work I decided to jumpstart things a bit by buying a gas forge. I bought a two burner Metalsmith model from Diamondback Ironworks and it got here this week.

First start:
anj6TAD.jpg

First metal being heated:
jnr8vnw.jpg

I just wanted to play for a bit this time:
P5tRznS.jpg

So it worked great. I still have to figure out a proper fuel solution, as you can see I'm just using a 20lb tank for now. I also didn't want to run for too long before I get a CO detector.

How does it look?

I've got the knifemaker model.  Works pretty good.  I make a lot of cable damascus and my "technique" requires using a lot of flux.  I never really knew that the borax would eat the ceramic bricks like it would.  I started using oil dry (a tip from an old 'smith) in the bottom and that works well.

The biggest drawback to the knifemaker is how small the work has to be. 

I have the Blacksmith version. Almost went for the Metalsmith, but decided to use my coal forge for anything too large or awkward.

Keep us updated on how your forge works out for you. I've burned through two 100 lb tanks with mine, it's had a few small hiccups so far but nothing too bad.