I Forge Iron

welding on an anvil face - anvil repair

In my humble opinion, you will do more damage than good trying to weld up the face of your anvil using a light duty mig. You can also damage the anvil beyond repair by welding on it. I don't think there is any flux core wire for a little mig that is hard enough for an anvil face. My advice is to take a belt sander to it, sand out the dings that you can and live with it.

Woody

hw001.jpg

This Peter Wright got a completely new faceplate about 20 years ago and has seen regular use since. Note how high the step is and if you look at the hardy hole, you can see the plate edge. I wrote an article for Anvil's Ring many years ago that provided a complete description BUT like Woody said, it is a great deal of work and one can often do more harm than good. The horn is easy to fix because it is not hardened but my recommendation is to find another anvil in better shape and trade the battered one off if you just can't stand to work on it.

Edit image resized

To give you some idea of sizing, this image is 600 pixels wide.

This image is 400 pixels wide.

This image is 400 pixels wide.

And if your trying to show a detail, it is always better to take another photo and show only that detail.

The bottom line is to get the image posted first so we can see it. We can always fuss about making it smaller later.

Sorry about the picture size. These are fairly small .jpgs so I don't know why they are coming out so big.

I live on a caliche hill, which is about all we have around here. It's normally used in road base and makes a very fine dust when dry, which is probably a health issue but about the only thing I can do is spray water or oil (not recommended) on it to settle the fines.

I meant to add earlier that a very serviceable job can be done refacing anvils with a big (7" or 9") right angle grinder using cup wheels or a coarse disc. Put the anvil where you can lean with your body weight and try to stall the grinder... :wink:...in other words, make the sparks fly. When it's where you want it, get some fiber sanding discs and finish to your liking. 80 grit is fine for a last pass unless you want a mirror finish.

BlacksmithTech,

You might check out this site: http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/shop_projects/anvils/index.html

And drop Ernie a note via email. His address is on the site under contacts or something. He's a great guy and always willing to help. He's made a few anvils and done some anvil repair. From what I remember he used hardfacing rods and then did a lot of grinding. The results are good, though.

Hope this helps,

rvb