I Forge Iron

Threaded Tangs

Maillemaker

I was wondering about the strength and overall appeal to threaded tangs and screw-on pommels.  I own a few sword-shaped objects that are all threaded tang, and while it does make maintenance easy, this has to be a cheap, modern method.  I've had one of my SSO's pommel become loose, and wouldn't align with the blade, which annoys me to no end.

Isn't a through tang stronger and more stable?  Why would a blade or swordsmith want to "cop out" and use a threaded tang, aside from relative ease of construction?  Wayne Goddard describes silver brazing a threaded tang in The $50 Knife Shop, but it doesn't seem like a safe long-term construction choice to me.

Can make it easier to get a tight fit, played around with threadimg some for leather handled knife recently and helped get a tight fit, you then either solder/braze in place, weld or countersink the hole, cut the threaded part just a little long and give it a few wacks  with the hammer to make sure it doesn't come loose.

Probably also good with the delicate and more rare/fragile of handle materials.

Here is one on australian blade forums that is done by peter del raso.

http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb4/showthread.php?7067-Ivory-bowie-amp-engraving&p=62266#post62266

I use a threaded tang on any of my fixed blade knives with a butt cap. The blade tang is extended with a threaded rod silver soldered to it. Shop and field testing proves this works for my knives. I wonder about the testing on a sso.

I woiuld suggest you find out for yourself if this will work for you. If you wish details i described in one of the early knifemaking lessons in forum.

I'm no expert like some of the folks on here but I just drew out the last maybe 10th of my tang to a roughly round end that was a bit longer than I needed and threaded the tang it's self. worked excellently for me. I drilled an tapped my pommel filled it with a dab of JB weld and screwed it on tight lined it up with the blade and let it sit for a few days. The knife hasn't been done for that long but I chop through some thick wood with it and really abuse it to test it's durability. It's held up very well so far.