I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

I am new to forging and anvils all together, I recently purchased a champion forge on eBay and I have a line on an anvil (guy says about 75#) and is asking $200

No readable marking on the side, on bottom only  '5' '27'

I am having trouble identifying the maker... any help would be greatly appreciated

post-32406-0-97052800-1360377434_thumb.j

post-32406-0-43656300-1360377448_thumb.j

Others can probably tell you more about that specific anvil, but Ill just throw out my little input (keep in mind I am a newbie too, but I have 5 anvils now).

$200 for a 75lb anvil seems a little high to me without it being something special

The face and edges look pretty good from the picture though.

Is it all cast steel? Steel top plate on cast iron base? All cast iron?

Does it ring when tapped with a hammer on the face or all over or not at all basically? (tiny hammer+light tap)

Rebound....when you tap the face, it should bounce back...more bounce is better.

General rule of thumb is suppose to be $2/LB for an anvil with a smooth face and good edges.....I add that it should be something identify-able (good brand).

Going up from $2/lb is ok, but you need to really know about what you are buying because you may be overpaying.

From what I see on that anvil, I would be interested between $75-150 range and being that I dont know that it IS a good brand, it would be more of the $75-110 (under $1.50/lb). Though if you can confirm from someone that it is something good, then maybe more....for $200 it better be one of the bigtime guys (Fisher, Peter Wright, Hay Budden, or something swedish).

I would also want to clean the paint off to try and see some markings hidden underneath.

Also, adding a location to your profile will help as different regions can change things, but if you are in Tennessee or willing to drive, I have a couple extras I might sell, I have a number for another guy who is supposed to have a few, and I might be able to find the guy I passed on (200lb no name for $400...too high for me but decent anvil).

It is cast, the blocky shape and raised lettering tells you that. The real question is: cast what? Solid cast steel would be good, cast iron with a tool steel face would be OK, solid cast iron would be an anvil shaped doorstop.

Judging from the lack of any sort of makers mark, and what looks like (fuzzy picture) the odd position of the pritchel hole directly behind the hardy hole, I would say that it is an import. I have never seen an American made Vulcan, Fisher, Badger or Southern Crescent cast anvil with that hole pattern, but have seen Russian or Czech imports, just not that exact shape.

Thanks for your input and knowledge guys, I appreciate it.

Any suggestions on a good starter anvil? Mostly looking to try knife work and similar

You can read so much about all different types and brands of anvils, not sure what would suit this best

I am also looking at a 100# Vulcan, has a nice smooth face and the guy is asking $190

Good deal?

The 100# Vulcan could be fine. I'd test it with a ball bearing. Take cash, offer less and see what happens.

Where are you located?

Don't get stuck on a London pattern anvil for knifemaking. I'm a newish knifemaker with a couple years of buying tools and setting up a shop under my belt. I'd do a few things different if I could.

I have two Fisher anvils and love them, but I've made a top tool for my 300# Fisher that can relegate it to a tool holder for forging an entire blade.
After using it for a couple weeks now I'm modifying it today.

That first anvil looks like one a friend has. 40-50% rebound. His is an older cast iron ASO.

As for finding an anvil. Craigslist is your best bet. The trick is adding the app so you can set search terms to alert you.
I found my 4 anvils that I bought so far by checking multiple times a day on CL. I found that when I did so, I saw more anvils pop up than I ever believes was possible for my area. They just don't stay up as postings long because the good ones, or cheap ones go fast.

Hope this helps.

Ps. Where are you in case someone local can help?

Looks like my Buffalo that's 110#.  ASO, but with decent rebound for a Taiwanese cast iron.  Works for 3/8" down & meh for small spring wire hooks, but I wouldn't recommend it for blades.  Tool steel will have you cussin it.  Look for some heavy rr-rail to stand on end.  You be a happier smith.    Mostly mine is a hardy holder....