I Forge Iron

Steam & Vintage machinery fair- Oberon, Australia 2013

AndrewOC

Hi everyone.

This weekend, February 8th -10th 2013, is the 6th Highlands Steam and Vintage Fair held at Oberon, NSW.

see: http://highlandssteam.org.au/

If you have the chance, come and check it out.  From what I have heard the show is a great and diverse event.

A friend and I shall be attending with some kind of blacksmithing demo.  Neither of us have done this much in the past, so getting the set up there and to function will be the main achievement!  Come join us, if you can.  I hope to do more of these events this year.

cheers,

AndrewOC

Well I had fun this weekend! This is in spite of my friend seizing the engine in his old Mitsubishi Pajero, and havin to limp home. Also the storms visited again, (each evening!) but well timed- only bucketing down after we had finished each day.
I am thinking about going to Maitland 'Steamfest', which is another tremendous event: Home - Steamfest
It is on the 13th / 14th of April this year, then there is Ironfest (Lithgow) on the 20th/ 21st of April.
Lots of improvements to my 'kit' to do in the meantime... mainly to make everything easier!

Thanks to all that came around to say hi, it makes the forum friendships come full circle.

Three memorable questions were; 
1. where do ya get an anvil from...  :rolleyes:
2. where do you get a swage block from...
3. how much do you want to pay for my 5 anvils and four forges!!! (ie set me up for retirement)

AndrewOC 
PS my 'stall neighbours' Rare Chairs and the Wood Guys were real great to be around, and really made the weekend.

Hi Andrew

A stack of us will be going to Ironfest again this year, if you want to attend let me know and I can give you details of who to contact, we will be taking a fair amont of stuff, tool,s anvil, heating device etc (monster was threatening to bring his 1cwt massey and portable to run it but i reckon he's running out of time now).  Steamfest is not much though in the way of blacksmithing, Billy Maguire tried it a few years ago and it did'nt go so good.  We used to demo in the red shed at SMR but that has been canned for a few years now as well.

Phil.

Phil, I do hope to get to Lithgow; just haven't planned that far ahead with the missus.  Also the National machinery rally is also on that weekend; though being at Mudgee, i could split the weekend.

What sort of help does monster need with a 1cwt??

I'm interested to  hear what you and Bill have to say about Steamfest, they approached me at Oberon for demo-ing...

Andrew.

Help monster needs with a 1 like a car float type of thing to transport it, a piece of 1" plate to bolt it too, another vehicle to tow all this including an about 8HP marshall portable to lithgow and back, cant see it happening this year.  Where would steamfest get you to demo at.

Phil

Hmm, I'm getting together a small hammer moving outfit, not finished yet though...

The hammer is just going to be on plate, not a thick timber sled?

Fred, an ex-organiser of Steamfest, mentioned a new-ish 'One million dollar' shed.  I'm waiting for emails from their current president for formal contact and details.

A.

Fred Vanags (probly spelt it wrong), yeh they have a new steam shed right in the middle of the steam rally ground, seems funny that they have to go to oberon to find some one to do a demo when they have so many people in their own area.  We used to enjoy the day demo,ing at the red shed. Be prepared for some full on OHS stuff though, just something I can feel in my waters.  Had a guy (ex blacky did his time same place same year as lindsey) come here yesterday to collect some superheater flues we did 3 year ago for LVR, he had 2 steam hammers on the back of his semi about a 5 and a 7 or 8 I reckon they originally came from Chullora as they were painted yellow and were of railways pattern, with keyed on top blocks, not shrunk as the steelworks one were.  He was planning on setting one up at cowra, but we realised just as he was leaving that they had no base plates, that and he only had one anvil, (to suit the bigger hammer).  Interesting.  They came from Rothbury Ratbag Railway up at Branxton.  Are you going to the corroborree this weekend down south?

Phil

I thought it was a 'small' world.

Fred made the comment that when he was pres, he was gradually increasing the 'heritage' department.

As I've seen at this Oberon and the Menangle do last spring, one blown pipe and most steam owners can't afford a repair for several years= one less steam attraction.

Nah, can't make it south this weekend, send my luv...

A.

Yes, Jim reminded me last week; I had to pick-up the missus from airport after her first conference. 

Went to Clarendon Swap also.

There is some white powdery stuff waiting on a pallet for you, about 160kg +.

Woody, I've heard about some big boilers that have been de-commissioned in Sydney.  Biggg though, 3m+ diameter, 5m+ long.  I hope to get a tour soon-ish.

A.