I Forge Iron

quick question on press design

78sharpshooter

I have some 6" x 6" square tube 1/4" wall and have been thinking of using it for a 25 to 30 ton press. It would be 36" tall with a 12" width all from the square tube with and added I beam at top and bottom. Is the tube too light for this? I was thinking that the cross sectional area of the total steel in the steel tube is just at 6 sq in and and tension in each corner would only be 30000 psi so the tension per sq inch is only 5000 lbs so I thought this should be sufficient.

Please get Batson's book, "Build Your Own Hydraulic Forging Press". When it comes to designing a press one can't just guess or ask others if it will be strong enough. Too dangerous! This book has tables and charts to figure all this stuff out depending on the tonnage.

Good luck and stay safe!

30 ton is 60,000 pounds and that divided into four corners is 15,000 per corner...assuming even loading.

I have found that building tools involves more than just the math.

Also..there is more than just tension loads if you side load the dies and guides become a huge issue as well.

Also..will the corners be welded...how much weld? If bolts then what type and what is you fit from the hole to the bolt? Drilled holes or punched?

Will the "I" beam deflects much under load (i.e. beam calculation) and what stress does that place on the corners?

When it comes to life and limb I follow the belt and suspenders rule...bolt and weld....preceded by design.

What is your designed in safety factor?

many questions.

Ric

I agree with Randy here. Get the Batson book. If you look at the thread I just posted on a Rebuildt Press, the original builder varied from Batson's design and used tubing. The tube was 4"x4"x 1/4" wall and seem to work fine but there are 4 pieces. There were also problems with binding between the tubes because of weld shrikage, which I had to address to make it work correct.  The tube also added unessasary weight to the press which is a bear to move.The original plans call for 3"x5"X1/4" angle. I am currently working on another 80 ton press in which the designer is using  2 pieces of 8"x8"x3/8" wall for the vertical supports which will also double as a hydraulic tank.