I Forge Iron

Forging fish hooks

Eyeless fish hooks were common in the Colonial period. Flattening the upper end of the shank to "grab" the snelled line is easy enough, but I'm trying to figure out how to make a decent barb on a hooks small enough for trout and panfish. I have been told that old barbed wire fencing makes good hook material, but cannot say. Anyone have thoughts?

I would go barbless myself.  In the last 20 years or so I have bent over all barbs on all of my flies before tying a fly on the hook.  There can be a good case made for the loss of more fish because of the greater hook setting resistance and the tearing of the membranes by barbed hooks than for the loss of fish due to slipping the hooks because of the lack of a barb!  Super sharpness is key to hooking fish that have bitten!  I have recently liked a fine diamond file for best sharpening of my hooks.  Of course the barbless hooks are also more convenient for the modern practice of catch and release fishing!  

Well I have made barbs on fish gigs by slightly flattening just behind the tip and then chiseling a barb in.  I have also made them by drawing out a taper and then folding the sharp end back and drawing a new tip on the folded corner.  Both ways work but the chiseled barbs seem better (stronger) to me.  These would be like a fishhook in super magnum size.  My advice would be to start that way and then work down into ever smaller scale until you get what you want.  I'd say that a chisel for barbing a small trout hook would be similar to a small carving knife at the edge.  For a two sided chisel effect you might try a small pair of wire nippers instead of a chisel.