I Forge Iron

Hello, my name is harry and im looking for advice on a possible career in the blacksmithing world.

At this moment Im in the Army and currently traded as a blacksmith, but due to other commitments I rarely get to touch my trade. But I have aquired a pretty much a full workshop but got no where to use any of my equpiment so it just sits in my shed!!
Basically Im on the lastest redunancy list and i wish to achieve a career Blacksmithing, either with my own workshop or with a established workshop. I wouldnt be leaving the army (if i do get made redunant in june/july time) until june/july 2014 but i would be given more time off and resettlement money to do courses. To that end i would like to go to a workshop and learn from a fulltime smith, so I would be hopeing to gain more experiance with. I would be happy to work for free and wouldnt ask for any money until i finally leave the army or good enough!

Ive got pictures of the work ive done if anyone wishes to see them

Any advice or links would be very apprecianted

Cheers x

Also the area I looking to operate will be the south east, London and east England. But still willing to travel elsewhere in the country.

Cant help on the blacksmithing side of things. However, if you are looking to take blacksmithing up as a full time career I would recommend learning a bit about running a business and that side of things. There are lots of evening classes in marketing, website building, keeping accounts, setting up your own business and so on. Of course if you are looking to work for someone then this doesnt apply as much.

A lot of these activities you can work on and set up now before you end your Army career so you can get up and running as quickly as possible.  

I'm not going to advise you in re' smithing itself or courses because I'm an amateur, but on the business side...

Make the most of the re-training courses you'll be offered, particularly book-keeping and small business management. Initially, it would probably be better for you to work for someone else; that way you can get your hand back into the type of work necessary and see what the market offers you for various kinds of work. After that, if you really think it's viable, you could start you own business.

Do be careful with your redundancy pay and any resettlement money you get; don't invest any more than a small part in your business until you're sure it's a winner. Don't take out long rents or contracts for anything - the terms may seem better, but if your business sinks the last thing you need is to see money going to things no longer needed. Whereas, if the business flies, the slightly higher prices paid short-term won't really hurt and you can change to other deals when you like. When / if you start don't get anything on credit, cash or debit only.

Most important of all, don't take out any more than a bare minimum of money from the business when you start.

Best of British.

cheers guys, yeah i have been trying to set up alittle workshop on camp and try and learn a buisness on a small scale. The only problem at the moment is getting the real estate on camp. Its a long process due to the health and safety side of it. (I should find out this week if the QM accepts it). This is where i was thinking of doing some intial work and see how people react to what im producing and this way I shouldnt lose to much money if I fail. Hopefully not tho! Ive looked at the college in herefordshire for part time courses and they are a provider for the mod enhanced learning credits so Im guna book myself on one of those courses to develop my skills further.

Thanks again

Welcome aboard Harry, glad to have you.

I second Curly's recommendation with emphasis. Learning how to run a business on all levels will serve even if blacksmithing falls through for you, heck you can get a job running someone else's business if nothing else. Seriously, running a business is as much an art as blacksmithing, cabinet making or . . . (insert a trade that's as much art as job) Lots of folk go bust for no better reason than not balancing a budget, stocking, etc.

We LOVE pics. So yes, please show us pics of your work, tools, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
Guest Johnnie

That's some nice work there Harry. You defo have the flare to forge ahead in e world of blacksmithing. 

Sort the business side of it and I am  sure you'll do well, good luck and welcome to IFI. Members on here have a wealth of experience and information and enjoy helping others!

John