I Forge Iron

Jungle parang

I had been busy for a couple of weeks working on fabricating some tooling to hopefully make certain forging more efficient with my hydraulic forging press.  To help get back into the swing of hammering sharp-and-pointies, I forged out this parang.  I really like this; it wants to take off limbs, from trees or otherwise.   :D

parang01.jpg

The steel is 5160, forged from 1/4" stock and retaining much of its thickness in the spine.  It's been given my typical triple normalization, triple hardening, triple tempering cycle that I use on 5160.  The handle is an integral socket with olive drab paracord for the main wrap and black for the two-strand Turk's head knots, impregnated with Minwax Wood Hardener.  The blade length, including the choil, is 13" and the overall length is 19 1/2".

It shaves hair right nicely.  :D

parang03.jpg

Thanks!

The Wood Hardener does pretty well.  It's the consistency of water ans sucks down into the fibers instantaneously, and I brush it on until it is saturated.  When it dries, it hardens and isn't going anywhere without a lot of effort and a saw.