I Forge Iron

Treating crack in handle

He everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas.

I have a piece of wood I cut from a tree here at home a few months back and shoved in the oven twice for about an hour or 2 each time, it has only a small crack in the bottom of it that I do not want to get any bigger.

I cut this piece and a larger blocky bit off because where we had trimmed the tree back early last year there were no cracks in the branches on the end, unlike the other kind of tree next to it.

How do I treat this so that nothing will happen, what kind of glue would be best as I want to use this for a cooking knife's handle.

It kind of reminds me of a piece of deer antler from the way it slightly curves and widens at the base.

IMAG0098.jpgIMAG0102_BURST001.jpg

It started to crack because you were drying it too quickly. Wood likes to dry out slowly... Get yourself a can or jar, fill it with linseed oil, and let the wood soak in it. The wood soaks up all the oil it wants, as if it were water - but the oil will later harden, conditioning & stabilizing the wood, and preventing future cracking.

P.s. this is also a good way to treat your hammer handles - it prevents the shrinking & swelling that happens with changes in moisture content.

I live in a warm climate. The very few times I need to age and dry wood for handles I cut them oversize by about double wot I will need. Then I put several in a paper bag and roll the top down on it. I put it in garage that does not have air conditioning or heater.Takes a couple of years to be right. Then I send it out for stabilizing. Then I can use it on a knife.

Cyanoacrylate glue (not really glue but) you may know it as crazy glue.  Crazy glue that is sold in stores is full of inhibitors to extend shelf life.  You are better off buying from industrial suppliers.  Woodturners have been using it, since it was developed during the Vietnam War, to harden spolted wood and seal cracks. 

Cyanoacrylate was developed to stop bleeding on ravaged tissue like livers and kidneys.  A quick spray of this stuff and the bleading stopped and coagulation begun.  Who would have thought that industry would be using it as it does today..

http://www.caglue.com/