I Forge Iron

Neck Knife Changes

Don Nguyen

I made this neck knife last year, but I'm looking to improve it for future ones. I will probably get rid of that part in the back with the lanyard hole, to make the grip more comfortable. Otherwise, the handle seems to work fairly well. I think this type of grind is also fairly thick, so I will probably go with a full flat grind with a plunge and taper instead (currently it is 1/8" stock with no tapers, and only the partial flat grind).

If I were to do a kydex sheath for it, does the knife require any structural revisions so the sheath can grab on and be secure?

S2OpK.jpg?1
gppYx.jpg?1

Thanks so much. Sincerely,

-Don Nguyen

I can't stop you from doing anything obviously, but I don't think the knife needs any change at all. This was honestly one of my favorite knives that I've seen on this site. The handle material and the blade finish match perfectly. The sharp contrast at the back where the lanyard hole is makes the whole thing look complete, I think it would look alright if you put the wood all the way to the end but in my opinion it won't look as good. The curve of the handle looks good as well as very comfortable and the overall shape looks very versatile. I could see myself using this knife every day from opening packages and stripping wires to whittling and carving softwood. As far as I'm concerned this is about as close as you can get to the perfect general purpose, small, comfortable and convenient neck knife.

Just my two cents.

I think instead of replacing this design completely, I'll just be offering a different type. A lot of people are telling me not to change anything, which kind of surprises me. I thought there were many weird design choices with this knife, but I guess they work for some people.

I'm almost thinking of getting rid of lanyard holes completely with the new knife revision. It just seems redundant for a neck knife that's held by the sheath.

• 2 weeks later...

I think instead of replacing this design completely, I'll just be offering a different type. A lot of people are telling me not to change anything, which kind of surprises me. I thought there were many weird design choices with this knife, but I guess they work for some people.

I'm almost thinking of getting rid of lanyard holes completely with the new knife revision. It just seems redundant for a neck knife that's held by the sheath.

Alternatively, the sheath can be held by the knife, which is hung around the neck by a lanyard. I like the design. It seems a little quirky (angular, rather than smooth curves) but fit, form & function all good.