I Forge Iron

One more "identify this anvil" question

I picked this little thing up last year, to use as a "bench anvil".  It's 33 pounds, and that orange thing is a 12-inch rule.  No markings anywhere; I've examined it closely.  There's an area on one side that looks like a nameplate may have been ground off.  The face is radiused in two places.  The hardy hole is 3/4" and the pritchell, about 3/8".

There's an obvious casting seam under the horn and heel, but it still rings very clearly, and a 3/4" ballbearing bounces between 85 and 90%. 

Any suggestions as to its ID?  The guy I got it from inherited it from his father, who MAY have had it from HIS father.

Thanks...

post-10084-0-15254700-1357670031_thumb.j

post-10084-0-55080500-1357670088_thumb.j

post-10084-0-66184200-1357670110_thumb.j

Hmmm. cast iron doesn't really ring, It could be a cast steel anvil by a no-name manufacturer particularly if you get a good rebound.

Long ago I ran across an anvil that was a give away price that looked very similar. I didn't get it because I thought it was cast iron, now I wish I had it.

If you want to get rid of it so you don't have to worry send me a PM and I'll take it off your hands.  :)

Well, I didn't get it "fah cheep", but didn't pay an outrageous premium either.

It does ring; not as well as my Trenton, but very bell-like, and it does rebound at least 8-1/2" on a 10" drop.

The third pic shows some airholes just under the heel, so it almost certainly is cast SOMETHING.  I hope it's steel.

The first pic shows the thickness of the faceplate, around 5/16", which is pretty substantial for a small anvil like this.

It will serve perfectly well for a bench-anvil, and will be better than the length of narrow-gauge track that I've been using.