I Forge Iron

Other items to get started?

While I had originally planned to pick up a brake drum and build a forge, I was searching the local classifieds (website) and found a "blacksmith shop" for sale with a poor picture of a couple pieces and a description that said "listed for dad, call XXXX at XXXX. I know nothing". So being curious, I called to see what all was for sale (and if it would be available individually....no). While being pretty broke and having the wife say no many times, I still wanted to see what all was there in hopes cash might sway a couple pieces away (cash fund raided that was meant for special cases).

So after going to see everything, I ended up dealing on everything but a converted post drill (converted to a motor instead of crank, but I didnt have the money to get it too). General idea is to keep what I will use and recoup some from the excess stuff acquired.

So currently I have: (pictures in my gallery)

2 anvils and an ASO....one old one from the anvil thread and a PW 98lb from this "shop" sale :)

forge (homemade from 100 gallon propane tank from what he said)

2 blowers (both bufco)....one smaller and one bigger

leg vise....needs some cleanup (iron city in a star marked)
post drill Champion plus a dozen bits

various hammers, tongs, and assorted pieces

Items I know I need:

coal

piping to attach a blower to the forge

something to attach the blower to (stand)

handles to repair some of the hammers (I hope to reforge a couple of them too)

Questions:

Do I need to line the bottom of the forge? What works best?

Are the tongs with the ball detent for flat stock or something specialized?

Which blower would be better the smaller or larger one?

Anything else that would be good to have before starting the first fire?

Also there is a piece I got awhile back that looks like an arbor press....I think its for leather work, but does anyone know for sure?

I appreciate any info and expertise. :)

If there is a cast iron firepot, Proprietary firepots take 3"D stovepipe. I line the surrounding hearth with 1 part Portland and 3 parts sand. If the tongs have short, circular jaws, they are horseshoer's tongs, but can be used on other like flat stock.

The larger blower is best, especially if the gear case is larger and smoother.

I don't know where your gallery is located.

If you click on any username, there is a menu under the avatar with gallery as an option
http://www.iforgeiron.com/user/29991-nutinauniversalshell/

The only issue I noticed with a link is that the submenus still have to be clicked. (the pictures are also the last ones that were on the top of the main page. The firepot isnt cast. The previous owner said he cut sandstone, but I thought better suggestions might be offered on here.

Around here a forge like that would be lined with grey clay or Benoite mixed with sand. You might be able to find it at your local farm supply. The sell it here to plug leaks in pond banks.

and sold here as well also used for drilling "grey clay or Benoite mixed with sand" local Tractor supply has it . I use it in my garden lightly for soil conditioning to hold water better for the plants .

Sam

Still have to make it to tractor supply (was closed on the first and was busy today), and hardware store to check on handles for some of the hammers.

Did buy some welding gloves from the welding/gas place....had to get 2 tanks filled and saw the leather. $27 for heavy welding gloves, smaller thick gloves, and some kid skinned tig gloves....seemed decent.

On a really awesome note, I ask them about a place to buy coal. Possibly local coop was response then the guy ask another salesman who called someone....ended up the other guy is supposed to bring a 5 gal bucket of coal down the next time he comes. Sounds like I should get at least 5 gallon bucket full of coal free :) if its good coal for this then maybe I can setup some sort of deal to get more too.

Turned out to be a good day.