I Forge Iron

Need help IDing my new hammer

Hi folks. I picked this up last summer in a ridiculously wonderful stroke of luck. Guy coming to me to buy a bike had it loaded on his truck and delivered it when he came to get the bike. Five minutes before he got here with it, a lowboy pulled up next door with a bobcat forklift to move some stuff for my neighbor.  Within 24 hours of  "Aww xxxxxxx !!! My truck is down. There's no way I'm going to pull this off."... there it was in my back yard.. 
    OK that was the good part. The bad part is I never got to talk to the guys who built it in person and (of course) lost their number shortly after I got it. My little pancake compressor is good for about one hit, so there it sits awaiting a compressor big enough to make it go. What I'm hoping you guys can do for me is give me some advice on what size compressor to get. If anyone recognizes the style or plan maybe I can find out more about it and its needs.
    I can pick up a 60 gal 6HP compressor for about 300.00, but not sure if that's enough tank or not. Don't know what kind of pressure or  volume it wants. I know I should get the biggest I can manage, but funding is usually a problem so I"m also trying to figure out the smallest/cheapest I can get a way with too..... 
    I'm starting to feel more and more guilty when I look out there and see it sitting idle. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                                                                                         Ed

post-5487-0-27611500-1356797578_thumb.jp

Looks like a pretty good hammer from what I can see. ID? :huh:  Give it a name....

The size of the tank don't mean squat if the pump won't put out the required CFM. 6hp x 60gal should do fine but with a 6hp rating it sounds like an import to me and they never in my experience put out what they're supposed to. A 'good' 5hp should put out 17.5 cfm.

Ed, it is a shop made hammer patterned after the Big Blu and the ABANA Kinyon plans.  It should run just fine with one iron in the fire (intermiittant forging) at about 125 psi (based on that cylinder size) and a 60 gallon tank.  The 60 gallon tank ought to recharge during reheating of the metal with that 6 hp compressor.  80 gallons takes 1/3 longer to recharge, obviously.  Use air tool oil in the lubricator with antifreeze if you are in cold climate.  Ingersol Rand sells it by the gallon.  Probably air tool oil mixed with some ethylene glycol antifreeze (1/3) antifreeze, (2/3) air tool oil.  I was told by a Detroit smith that the old fashioned mix was 50/50 alcohol & air tool oil.  DO NOT USE wd-40, Marvel mystery oil, etc because the fancy molecules cause the seals and o-rings to swell.  Use at least 1/2" hose.

Enjoy.