I Forge Iron

caramic blanket question

TeHFReaK

hi... can anyone tell me what the best way to get kawool to stick to the inside of a forge?... the main part isnt hard because gravity kinda keeps it in but im having trouble on my doors they open vertically) any help would be appreciated thanks

picture does not have wool in it now just showing how the doors work..

post-29101-0-78384300-1355879322_thumb.j

Looks like you've got a great start on your forge.  As far as the doors go you have a couple options.  You could run stainless screws through your forge door with the points on the inside, then press the blanket onto the screw points to hold it in place.  You could also cut the blanket longer than your forge chamber, enough that the extra sticking out will fill the void in your door when it's closed.  Then there's the option of pouring a castable refractory into your door.  And lastly, you could eliminate the door all together and simply stand up fire bricks in front of the forge opening.

I've found that most things in blacksmithing present you with lots of options...part of being a blacksmith is learning how to decide what's best for you.

Keep shooting questions if you have them, and good luck with your forge.

Nichrome wire is a great method, just drill a couple holes an inch apart or so, and make a staple, pushed in from the outside and folded over in inside (use as many staples as is necessary).. I used that method until a few years ago.  Currently, I use sodium silicate (liquid glass) as a glue to adhere thermal blanket to a forge body...  and to glue layers of thermal blanket together.  I "pat" or brush it on, whichever works better.  If you use the sodium silicate, you also need to put a refractory over the blanket because it won't stand up to direct forging temperatures (it will chrystalize).   It can be bought from ceramic supply sources.  Pay attention to the MSDS, it will save you extreme discomfort.