I Forge Iron

school gate panel

beth

thankyou all for having a look - and your comments, the whole finish thing is a bit of a dilemma, does that clear laquer really stand up to outside? i would love to leave the metal raw...  and bentiron have no fear, the 4 inch thing is all ok on the gate - and the tendrils have all been softened, and tucked right away, nothing sharp so there are no health and safety nightmares waiting to happen :) there are little children round the panel, so i did take extra care. 

woody - the rebel stance is hard to relax :)

In my experience, clear lacquers can stand up outside... but not for very long!!!!! Especially if they get knocks or scrapes, then it just looks a mess, as it starts to rust and the rust creeps under the lacquer. I've never done a gate or railing like that but I have with sculpture. Any gates or railings I've done recently (mostly small fab jobs) I've sent off to be hot zinc sprayed and powder coated. I think maybe the only way to get a nice steel finish is to use stainless!! Unless you like rust, I love rust, but can't imagine anyone paying a lot of money for a gate or railings to have rust, with sculpture you can get away with rust though!! Of course that is just my experience, there may be a good clear coat that stands up to it out there, but none I've tried!!

I have to say I when I saw the first photos I wondered about the baby's head rule, but the second photo of it painted shows it's scale a little better, it doesn't look that big, what are the dimensions? Bet the school are pleased, must get a pic of it in situ!!

yeah colleen - the things ive seen clear coated look a bit dodgey - but im not sure what they have used.. they dont seem that strong.. i have had things powder coated, and its only personal preference but i cant stand it on forged detail, its like wrapping it in rubber or something.!! very tough, and great for plain or simple looking non textured work, but not for detail..  personally, i love rust, but it just dont last long enough!  the panel is about 3 and half ft by 3 or something - and yes the school seemed pleased, which is good. there is another gate in the church next door that needs re doing which i hope i will get the chance to quote for - its an ancient little place, and there is a yew tree by the current gate that is nearly 1000 years old :)  that stuff gets me very happy`!!

Nice, I know what you mean about the plasticy look!! I actually like stuff that's been galv'd then t-washed, takes away the silvery finish of the galvanizing and leaves a mottled black/grey finish, looks more natural, or organic. 

That would be a lovely job, a little church gate! I used to live near a yew tree in Scotland which is one of the oldest trees in Europe-  about 2000 to 3000 years old, called the Fortingall Yew, lots of standing stones and general "old worldy-ness' around there!! Lovely!!

Also very nice to make something for the school where your kids go, eh?!