I Forge Iron

Another new guy.

Asymetric

Hello everyone. My name is Mark. I am a machinist/machine builder by trade. I like to design, create, and build just about anything out of any materials.  Metal just happens to be my favorite.  I have spent the last couple of years using the internet to teach myself foundry skills. Mostly the help of the folks at the alloy avenue forums. I consider myself a novice at that. I have been interested in smithing for years but have never had the space, time or resources to give it a go.  My winter plans are to collect some "stuff" and put together an outdoor space when winter breaks.

I have already got myself an "anvil" that will probably do for a while.   Its just a big piece of A36 4"x12"x18"  Its not super hard and doesnt bounce or ring much when i smack it with a hammer, but it does have some serious mass.  I have some sections of tool steels to make tools out of. Couple chunks of 4150, some misc A2 scraps and a section of 2" T-15 bar (expensive stuff that WAS headed to the recycling center).  Just have to scrounge up some plate and stuff to build a forge and i should be able to get going.

Have been lurking heavy the last few days and figured id join. I know in my casting adventures, suport from the forums is a greater help then days of reading articles hoping to find insight to your exact dilema.

Since everyone seems to like pics, ill throw in a couple of my trusty shop helpers. Pumpkin and Dylan. Cant find a Pic of "Dinner". A neighborhood chicken that stops over sometimes for popcorn. No idea where shes from or where she goes, but she wanders into the shop a few days a week.

DogWater02.jpg

rain_play.jpg

Since may suggestions or questions may have a location component to them we suggest folks edit their profile and put in a *general* location. No specifics needed; but if you are in the UK a long thread telling you about USA sources for something would be rather a waste of time and energy!