I Forge Iron

My new to me Peter Wright!

I was told by an old man about a guy that had an anvil or two kicking around so I payed him a visit. The first day I went there I only found one small cast anvil that was broken but the price was right so I took it home. I got that one for ten dollars, it's about 40 pounds.

I just had a feeling that there would be more treasures there so I went back today to do some digging. I spent most of my lunch break out in the snow snooping through his junk. After I moved some large hydraulic pumps and rams I noticed a horn if an anvil sticking out from the snow! I tried getting it out but it was frozen into the ground. Some hot water and a pry bar helped me get it out. I ended up getting a really nice 99lb Peter wright for 30 bucks!!!!! Here it is, I can't wait to clean it up and put it to work.

B82AAEA2-01DC-4CDF-8047-AF12FF0088F2-704

1AF2D9D8-340C-4FC7-BF75-6580872E5671-704

I still can't believe the score I made lol. I feel like its a dream. I have searched high and low for anvils for a very long time and now I have four of them. Two of them are no good at all tho.

This is the one I got yesterday for ten bucks. It's a Canadian blower and for co. It's in bad shape. The heel is broken off.

F4ABCF4A-F9D3-4814-BC85-FCC642833E75-728

Here is one that my dad gave me. We don't know what it is, it's only got a 74 stamped on the side.

3ADBEC3A-356E-450D-A1C7-56737120EB51-705

This one is my first anvil it was broken in half so I fixed it up. It's a 98lb Trenton.

Before I fixed it.

0305021304.jpg

After I fixed it.

0306021755a.jpg

This next one is strange. It's my dads, I don't know for sure what it is. Another thread here on the forum has one in it. From what they were talking about it could either be a railroad bridge anvil or a railroad jack stand. You can tell that it's been pounded in for years. It's actually dished out in the middle pretty good.

8214340B-B0B9-4B33-841E-71FB2F0540EB-704

This next one isn't mine yet but my uncle said when the day comes that he doesn't need it I can pay him what he paid for it. $125 it's about an 80-90lb Swedish Kohlswa in very nice shape.

F24C527E-A866-4D4C-A8A0-AB0693A55BD5-704

Sorry for the long post you guys. I could talk about this stuff all day :)

My first Peter Wright was the exact same anvil. It is an excellent anvil - but I paid about 7 times as much. :(

You should go back there when the snow is gone and see what else he has!

Ill be going back there often that's for sure. The stuff outside has to wait till spring but they have just as much inside that will take a long time to go through.

Thanks paulky, I really like that trenton because the face is in super nice shape.

I honestly haven't really looked at the forge and blower anvil but I believe it's all cast iron. I haven't tried the rebound on that one yet. I checked the rebound on the Peter wright today and I'm not sure if its up to par. Maybe it's all the rust on top, I will try it out again after I clean it up a bit.