I Forge Iron

Measuring and marking for bends

The drawing in the following pic (scale1:1) is for two grills I am forging. I need 4 of these to make two dragonfly grills. There are quite a few bends and tolerances are pretty close.

post-14003-0-45754400-1352337008_thumb.j

I draw on craft paper and use chalk to transfer the drawing on a steel plate. I mark the center of the bends with a dot on the drawing on the craft paper. With the compass I take the distance from one dot to the other. I mark the rod (3/8" square in this case) with chalk and mark that spot cold with a small fuller. I then fuller hot on the guillotine and bend as in the Hofi series blueprint BP 1640 Candle Holder 01. (The pic above was taken before I remembered to fuller the bending points. I made them over...)

post-14003-0-64320000-1352337065_thumb.j

It works. And no math. Hope this helps someone. Of course, it also permits the measurement of the lenght of rod needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea but I have a question. When you hot mark in the guillotine how sharp are your dies as not to mark the finished piece?

Sorry I did not reply earlier. I thought this thread was dead.

I use a fuller in the guillotine and mark the bend heavily. The mark is used as part of the design. It also permits to bend the stock precisely at that point. You can see the results of this procedure here on IFI in Hofi's BP (a little more than half way down the article) :

http://www.iforgeiro...-holder-01-r227

And here are the effects of the same procedure on a grill (a dragon fly) I am presently forging :

post-14003-0-88174400-1354376092_thumb.j

As you can see, the stock must be bent at a precise point.