I Forge Iron

I'm BACK!

Rick Barter

It's been a long time since I've posted or viewed the forum. It seems I've missed a lot of growth!

Anyways, I had to have surgery on my left shoulder (tong shoulder) to repair a torn rotator cuff. I tore it in 3 places and had what they call a bucket-handle tear. The technical name for it is a Type 3 S.L.A.P. tear. It seems that when I do something, I do it right because I tore the snot out of it.

So, after 10 months in pain, it's been repaired. And after 6 weeks in a sling, 4 weeks in physical therapy, and 4 weeks of light duty I'm BACK! I forged twice since Saturday and I feel great. I'm not 100% and still have to take it easy, but I'm back to feeding and minding the horses, smithing, mowing, riding my motorcycle, etc.

I wish I could say I did it doing something manly, but at least I did it in service of my wife! :D

I had forged her two nice "S" hooks and rubbed 'em with a brass wire brush so they looked purty. They looked so purty that she wanted to put two ginormous hanging baskets of flowers on them. Well, her and her sister were lifting from the bottom. My job was to seat the basket on the hooks. The first one went off without a hitch. The second one ... not so much. They lost balance with the basket as I was just putting it onto the hook (left arm fully extended) and I should have just let it go. But, I guess I was worried about their skulls because I tried to hold that puppy up by myself. Needless to say... Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppp!

Oh well. If nothing else, maybe it was chivalrous.

I hope to be participating much more in forging and typing in this forum! :)

• 2 months later...