I Forge Iron

First Integral

Loneforge

I am learning also. On the integrals that I have tried I started with a thicker bar and then forged the blade and handle down, rather than trying to thicken the bolster area. This would be a good place to use a guilotine tool I think. I have gererally used fullers and spring swedges. In general forging if you keep the cross section in a 1:3 raito the bar forges more into the center, as you get more into 1:8 type ratio like you might have in a finished blade it wants to become an I beam type cross section when you forge on the edge. I am not sure how most blade guys look at this, but I try to wait until I am done doing other things (such as pointing the blade, forging the tang,and making the reverse bend)before I spread my blade, this will also reduce the steel that is exposed and more subgect to changing carbon content. I really like the way you blended the handle into the blade, this looks gracefull.