I Forge Iron

Candle Drip Cup Swage From Aluminum

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sam, I thought somebody might like to see what I do. Most of the patterns I have are antiques left over from the 50's. I use to have the kids cast one to teach them the casting process. However, most of the kids would toss them out in the trash as they left my class. It took me a bit to figure out what to do with them so that they really cared about their project.

Great illustration of the casting process, we do this at the school I work in too, it's great fun and the students love it and are engaged with the process.

I do think though that you could very easily find something simpler that would be good for dishing candle drip trays in and have saved yourself the hassle of casting (although I realize that it's not really the point) I used to use a very simple former- section of round stock made into a ring, and used that on the anvil, (or you could use an offcut of pipe and file/grind the edges round) and hammered the dish into the circle, you could even weld the circle former to a back plate with a section to drop into the hardy hole, or use in a vice.

Colleen you are correct there are numerous ways to get this done. For me this took about 2 hours to do once I had the whim. I have since made a few dishes from the form and it seems to be holding up fine. I bet if I made a hundered or so it might start to change, but for now it is working. The operations that you suggest are they formed hot or cold? Not the welding of course but the actual cup? Also if you have any of these forms done I would LOVE to see a picture of them or at least a link to where I can find them.

We did some alu casting today with the year 12s, and managed to demonstrate it all in one (one hour) lesson, packing the mold, and pouring, but of course not breaking the mold open as was just poured!

The methods mentioned you can form hot or cold, depending on thicknesses. I don't have any pics handy, but will try to take some tomorrow when I get to the workshop.

Your descriptions were spot on and the photos back it up. Thank you for posting and good show! I enjoy the simplicity of this method and the variety of pipe that one can find. I think for my students though, it would take a bit more to master the art of the hammer and not to drive the cup though the pipe. Or to put horrible dents in the thing.

A side note today I thought about chucking up a piece of steel and turning the same shape. I have not gotten there yet but when I do I will post. Thanks again!

SF

Yes, very true, I have students who come to my shop for a taster in metal arts, a few of them do that exact thing- hammer it right down into the former, not easy with the ring, but the pipe offcut for sure! I keep the pipe offcut so long because I also use it as a former to make rings, and candle holders as well, otherwise it could be quite short.

Love to see your results at turning!