I Forge Iron

Question about a hood

yes it removes soot and ash ... i have been doing demos for over 30 years and at first i used a open shelter without hood . after a friend setup a forge with a hood and i saw how nice it was i decided to do the same . the tables were nicer and i was breathing less smoke ...

yes it removes soot and ash ... i have been doing demos for over 30 years and at first i used a open shelter without hood . after a friend setup a forge with a hood and i saw how nice it was i decided to do the same . the tables were nicer and i was breathing less smoke ...

Thank you, sir. I was curious as to whether it would be worth the extra time and work. I have a lot more questions about building my forge. Like, if I have a side blast, could I use clay to protect the tuyere?

• 2 weeks later...

I love the hood that I have on my forge. It is modular and I can take off what I need to fit in pretty much whatever I want/need. It is a life saver as it removes the nasty stuff that buring coal makes. It also, as mentioned allows for a more constant viewing of the color of the metal.

Another advantage to the hood that I have found is that it helps to minimize the unburnt gases from backing down my blower pipe. My forge is portable and when it is outside the prevailing winds always blow from right to left. My hood was open on the right side, so it goes straight at it. Once, I had a backfire after I added some green coal. Sounded like a shotgun going off and blew my blower pipe completely off. I did some research on here and the experts explained that I had some rather nasty explosive gas back down my blower pipe and just sit there. When I replaced my work into the fire I knocked some hot coals down into the gas and well, boom happened. Since I have enclosed my hood I have had less of the gasses going down after adding green coal. Before that I could hear little chugs or puffs for lack of a better term and I knew I had to be careful and crank a bit before replacing my work. Now, it is not as much of a problem as there is a constant draw up the chimney and a wind break.