I Forge Iron

Living and working in Northern Nevada has given me some interesting opportunities. One of which is the occasional work at a coal fired power plant. After getting to know the guys there they gave me some coal to try after I explained the difficulties in obtaining coal in this area. I was told it is sub-bituminous coal from Wyoming and Utah. I was thoroughly displeased with it. It builds HUGE clinkers in a very short time. It cokes up but won't stick together and form a cave of any sort. Very hard to maintain a fire worth having which sucks the fun out of forging. I decided to try and mix it last week with corn from the local fed store. Now forging is fun again. I found if I put a layer of corn on top of the coal it caves up nice and it isn't nearly as hard to maintain. I still have an issue with HUGE clinkers but it's alot better than not forging.

I have found corn burns almost exactly like coal, except for 2 things, it is less dense, and it is reported to have 1/2 the energy content by weight...together mean feeding the fire very frequently. (and it smells like popcorn instead of coal, no green smoke!)

Good stuff.

Phil