I Forge Iron

Beaudry # 7 springbox

Anybody got a springbox for a # 7 Beaudry Champion its a 200lb hammer the spring box of this hammer is past the point of repair it was broken when I got the hammer Didn't know it till i tore the hammer down I have complerely rebuilt this hammer and need a good spring box, this is my last avenue other than having one cast, if anyone out there has one or knows of one let me know , welding this one is not an option as it is past the point of return, the casting # on the front of the sring box is 24 a 34 may work if the meausurements are right, PM me if you have some thing, Wallace doesn't have one, I need to get this hammer running, I have a lot of work for it. It a long shot but it all I have at this point other than to have one cast.

Willey

Bob, I can fabricate the part if I have to but I am restoring this hammer and would like to have an original to complete the hammer I have alternatives also just need to stay in the same weight range to keep it in balance , I would like to stay with the original design.if I can i can run the hammer now with an alterate set up but would rather not if I can .

SAM_0567.jpg

IronWolf, fabricating, the part is NOT the problem it is finding an original casting to finish the restoration of the hammer to it original state is the problem. As I stated in a previous post I can run the hammer with a different springbox but if it will hold out is the problem, If the previous owners of the hammer would have run the hammer with the ram in correctly ( ram was in the hammer backward and put severe strain on the part) the part should have never failed under normall useage.

Macbruce, I talked with Sid quite awhile ago and he didn't have anything,
I am probably going to have to have one cast off the original meausurements.

Thanks for your guys comments, not trying to sound like an ass just trying to explain what I am looking for
Willey

Thanks Andrew, for the meausurements yours is identical to mine, mine is cast steel and also uses a wedge like yours heres a couple pics of the breaks they have been weld more than one time little hard to see cause off the sand blasting when I have time I will fix this one for a spare,grind on it allitle you'll be able to tell if yours is steel should throw a lot of sparks.
SAM_0569.jpg
SAM_0568.jpg

• 8 months later...

John I finished the machining of the casting and am working on the clutch engagement ring all I have left is the helical notches then I can start to put it back together, the casting turned out great thanks I will have this hammer running in the next couple of months. I will take a shot of the casting machined for you in the next couple of days.