I Forge Iron

linkage and cylinder size

Hammers are rated by ram weight, but is this a good way to rate hammers?

The discussion of anvil weight to ram weight is well discussed. But what about the other direction. I would assume that different linkages would absorb more or less than other linkages. Take for example a DuPont linkage system to that of a Bradley power hammer. One seems to absorb lots of the impact and the other would nearly absorb any. Would one preform better than the other.

When concerning pneumatic hammers should the cylinder size also be taken into account. Take hammer A that has a cylinder diameter of X inches. Compare this hammer to hammer B that has a cylinder diameter of 2X inches. The force produced by hammer B would be four times as large as the force produced by hammer A. The distance or stroke would then be applied to give the energy produced by the hammer (in this instance the stroke length is identical).

This leads to the discussion that a smaller hammer with a large cylinder can do the same work as a larger hammer with a smaller hammer.

This is displayed in youtube videos of an anyang 55 forging a taper on 2X2 inch stock.

What do you think?

I'm no expert at pneunmatic dynamics but I do know if a cylinder is too big for the tup it will have too much spapiness at the same air pressure with the needed increase in volume as well. Cylinders and tups have a balance that's condusive for hammering metal in PH's. Hammer B would be theTaz of all hammers with the same size tup as A but I wouldn't want it in my shop.

Some thing to take into account when looking at power hammers is usability and this is probably the most important aspect of a power hammer .
If we were to take it to extremes I could imagine a power hammer with storage cylinders before the piston chambers that were released in the same way as an air cannon incredible acceleration and power ...not much control or a 20hp, 50lb hammer running at 800 bpm...................
The limiting factor on the energy of any given power hammer is the motor. A 5kw power hammer will only deliver 5kw - losses, so designing a power hammer that combines efficiency with with usability (and economy) is the route that most people go down.
Air hammers are incredibly in efficient compared to mechanical hammers but their greater usability and control makes them desirable over their mechanical brethren .
It aint all about impact energy...