I Forge Iron

Demo Invite to Everyone!

I posted this on our guild's section but also wanted to put it here to extend an invite to anyone interested in coming.

Lunch is being rovided free of charge. Just let me know if you are planning on attending so I can get a rough estimate for food!!!

Time: 10am-3pm
DEMONSTRATOR: Brian Gilbert
Lunch: Provided by the Tanner Family

Info: Brian is an amazingly talented professional blacksmith from Chattanooga TN. He has been the editor of ABANA's magazine "The Hammers Blow" since 2000. He also runs Blacksmith e-books where you can buy numerous blacksmith related books on CD for cheap!!! Brian is going to do a really interesting demo for us. He will be making a wine rack and the tooling involved all in one day. He is going to take us through his tooling construction process, the forging process, and the final assembly process. WE WILL AUCTION OFF THE FINAL PIECE AT THE END OF THE DAY!

!!!!THE PICTURES BELOW ARE THE THINGS HE IS DEMONSTRATING!!!

Mike Tanner has been working really hard since his last meeting with Bob and Carl in February. His new shop is HUGE and room for all of us to see and learn from a great smith like Brian Gilbert. Hope you can all make it not only to see Brian, but to see what Mike has created.

!!!!!!!! DON'T FORGET SOMETHING FOR IRON IN THE HAT and a chair !!!!!!!!

DIRECTIONS:
From 360 east or west turn across from Goodman Truck and Tractor onto 360 Business. Go to the first road on the right and turn right. Continue to the stop sign. Then go straight through the intersection and proceed approximately 2 miles. Yesteryear Forge is on the right up on a hill-look for a brick house and a black anvil sign in the front yard.

****BE CAREFUL WITH MAPQUEST-they will send you through the town of Amelia, which is extremely confusing!**** email if you need additional directions president@blacksmithguildofva.com

More Info:
Blacksmith Guild of Viriginia - Home

Peyton Anderson
President, The Blacksmith Guild of Virginia

2333.attach

2334.attach

Here is what he has planned for the day:

1. Introduction, Safety and Warmups. Forge some different hooks and leaf
forms... I always start the day by forging a hook or two, to toss into the
shops "for sale" box. I'll cover some different leaf forms, maybe some
flowers
2. A trillium candleholder. Forge the candleholder in the photo I sent,
discussion about design sources, designing for my/your market, drawing, art,
etc.
3. Tools and tooling. I'll make some tools from S7 (which I'll bring) and/or
some junkyard steel
4. Making a wine rack, designing benders, etc.
5. A simple Jerry Darnell style candle chandelier/ easy forge welding. If
there's time, we'll forge up a billet for some cable and chain damascus.

Hope some of ya'll can make it out here!
Peyton