I Forge Iron

Hi everyone!

Joat

Hi everyone!
Call me Joat. I chose that name because I've done so many different types of work.
At the moment I'm a home builder, but I've always been best at repairing things.
I live on ten acres in rural Oklahoma county, just outside Okc.
I hope to have a coal fired forge going as soon as I can get everything together. Right now I'm looking for a good used anvil that doesn't cost a fortune.
I'm open to suggestions as to what type of forge design would work best for me, and I hope to benefit from the advice of more experienced blacksmiths.

Welcome to the forum.

What fuel do you have available? No use building the perfect forge that can not be used because there is no fuel.

What do you want to make? Different projects require different shapes of heat. Small forges for small heated areas, large forges for large heated areas, then there are round, square and long fire pots or furnaces that are used for different shape of heat.

Give us some specific information to work with and the folks on IFI can come up with some suggestions.

If you are a begging smith, one of the easiest in terms of cost and startup, would be a hand cranked (portable) rivet forge. I have only been doing this about a year, and thats what kind of forge we have. It has served well for various projects, and they are relatively easy to find used and on average would cost $100 to $300 dollars depending on the condition.

There are a number of blueprints on making forges. The best design will depend on the fuel you expect to use, what you have to build with and what work you want to do.

Have you looked on the ABANA site for you local affliate (there is one in OK, just don't recall what it is at the moment)?

ron

ps are you the same JOAT who posts on rec.woodworking?