I Forge Iron

BS tech - drawing a point

How do you draw a point on a piece of metal?

This topic has been started as a reference to those having question on Blacksmithing techniques. As different blacksmiths do things differently, it would be interesting to hear a variety of ways to achieve the same result. If it would better explain your technique, a blueprint is encouraged.

So the search engines can better locate the threads, please use BS tech - "subject" as a title. Let's get started with the following:

How do you make a point on a piece of metal?

I just came back from the BAM Ozark conference and I watched Tsur Sadan and Tom Clark show how this is done. They are thoroughly entertaining. According to Tsur do not start from the end of the stock but where you want to start the taper. Work just a little at a time until it is ready to finish then move to the next section. Keep dong this till you get to the end of the stock. Always work above dull red. Start closest to you and work away. Hit in the same spot on the anvil, only move the material not the spot where you hit.

Fred

I assume you mean hand hammer - but depends on how big the stock is. 5/16 and smaller, I tilt the material and hammer face and make the point in the wedge shaped area between hammer and anvil. 3/8 or larger, I shoulder where the taper is to end by isolating a knob on the front of the piece and then working that into a point.