I Forge Iron

Practice piece

I saw these leaves/seed pods? demoed in a post with single pictures. I think by Brian B. Never could find the post again. Anyway, thought I would try them and add to the flower. I had no idea of size of stock or the finished size so just swaqed it. Came out way bigger than expected. I still dont know what they are ment to be but used them for leaves. Will be sized differently next time the flower will be bigger. Had fun and got to make two new tools. :D post-21925-0-99898500-1346875086_thumb.jpost-21925-0-13226000-1346875133_thumb.jpost-21925-0-74719000-1346875172_thumb.jpost-21925-0-13987700-1346875222_thumb.j

I like the results. The general trick/technique has been gone over a few times here, I'm thinking Russian Rose? being one. There are pine cones made like this as well. They are of course twisted closer or together.

As your piece is I think the flower should have teeth and the leaves should be holding prey. Giant sucker leaved carnivorous daisies? Of course that's just MY brain doing it's thing. <grin>

Nice work, well done.

Frosty the Lucky.

i watched brian b work on that thing a couple months ago. in his project with tod 1/2inch or 5/8, he finished the rail end into a full taper after fullering and butchering for those petal things on the side. the little tapered end was the center of a spiral and as the rod wrapped around the spiral all those petals radiated the circumference like a daisy. the full size rod became the stem.
i like the example shown as it has lots of class with this project.
one of the difficulties is calculating the number of petals and the size so that they radiate the circle nicely. multiples of the same in the picture are pleasing to the eye. in my opionion.

carry on