I Forge Iron

First Bolt Tongs

Private Entrance

First attempt at bolt tongs, 3rd set overall. Made from 3/4" x 3/8" cold rolled. I made them to hold railroad spikes and other mid-sized square stock. Work pretty well so far. The jaws need a touch more tweaking, and the reins need adjusting - they don't seem to close quite enough for a comfortable grip in the hand.

bolttongs.jpg

Closer bits have been suggested. Rein adjusting is easy and can/will be an ongoing process in some tong's case. Nice tongs, well done and no qualifiers called for, they're much better than my first couple few pair.

Frosty the Lucky.

Good effort Mate. You can make this set more user friendly by bringing the bits/jaws back closer to the pivot point. If 'twer me, I'd heat the curves and grab that RR nail and clamp it in a vice and then push the pivot closer to the vice. May look a little funny, but should give you more gripping power....and you're right, "getting better, which is what counts"; don't we all strive to achieve our version of 'ideal' in what we do, otherwise why strive?
Keep up the good work, it's coming along nicely.