I Forge Iron

Wagon Tongue Vise Pictures

KSoldiron

Hi everyone. I'm new here but have always appreciated metal working. A while back I found a wagon tongue vise sitting in a pile of stuff at a farm auction on the Missouri-Kansas border. I've cruised this site and noticed there has been some interest in these types of vises so I thought you all might like to see it. It weighs about 35 pounds and is about 17" tall with 4" jaws. The only marking on it is a small "U" on the head of the main squared-headed pivot bolt. You can see that below. Anyone know what that might mean?

I'm an amatuer history buff and just generally appreciate quality tools. It's neat to think about where this thing might have been so enjoy the pictures. Seems like you find 100 of the larger post vises to every one of these you stumble across.

post-26942-0-59814100-1346157866_thumb.j

post-26942-0-12369200-1346157887_thumb.j

post-26942-0-29088500-1346157896_thumb.j

post-26942-0-62352900-1346157966_thumb.j

post-26942-0-17978700-1346158106_thumb.j

The thing that interests me most about these old tools is that, even after 100 years, you could mount this thing and start working with it. Maybe it's just me, but I also like examining the threads and the nuances of the vise to see how the nuts and bolts were cut along with all the forging marks that still remain.

The "U" could be a "C" I'm pretty sure that the vise is a Columbian.

I agree that it looks very much like a Columbian. I have an old, large post vise with a shim style mounting plate that also looks like a Columbian and it has a few number stamps on it but this one has none. Perhaps this was before they started stamping their vises.......