I Forge Iron

did I just make a motor mistake????

Hey yall,

As most of yall know, I am trying to build a #50 tire hammer. Well today, I bought a motor for it, it is a 1/2 HP 1725 RPM, BUT the plans call for a 1 HP 1725 RPM. So did I just waist my $$$

I sure hope I didn't since I just bought a log house kit, and have to make every $$$ count.

Thanks,
Trip

Sure can! I was going to suggest that. It will be a smaller grinder, or you may be able to stall it, as they recommend 1hp to 1 1/2 hp for most 2x?? grinder kits.

My belt grinder has 1/6 hp with step pulleys and works fine. It is only a 1x42, so its a small one. It is recommended for 1/3 hp to 1/2 hp. I have a hard time stalling this grinder even though it is "underpowered".

Phil

I am wanting to start making tools like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPgESIYOVGI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So I would like to have a belt grinder and a polishing wheel. Where do I find the pulley's for a belt grinder???

I have a 1/3 hp on my hammer one of the first 2 tirehammers made and still using it 10 yrs + or so later.I have used the heck out of this hammer...the head is probably 30-40 lbs..so I think 1/2 hp would work ok..at least try it..

How fast is your hammer going? How long are your forging scessions? A 1/2hp could be geared down and pehaps not draw too many amps but that's a trade off I wouldn't choose....

How fast is your hammer going? How long are your forging scessions? A 1/2hp could be geared down and pehaps not draw too many amps but that's a trade off I wouldn't choose....

I don't know how many bpm"s it makes but enougth and slow enough to point 1/4" stock ..I have forged probably 2- 3 hrs.
at a time,the only load is start up and that's not much..It has a 15" tire with a 3" roller and uses a slide behind the hammer instead of a tup in a tube like Clay's hammers,which IS a simpler method,,,,,still the best mechanical jyh design out there IMO

I don't know how many bpm"s it makes but enougth and slow enough to point 1/4" stock ..I have forged probably 2- 3 hrs.
at a time,the only load is start up and that's not much..It has a 15" tire with a 3" roller and uses a slide behind the hammer instead of a tup in a tube like Clay's hammers,which IS a simpler method,,,,,still the best mechanical jyh design out there IMO

Sounds like you hooked it up.....If it ain't broke then don't fix it. What the heck, $20 won't break the bank if it fails I reckon........ B)