I Forge Iron

Axe Forge Welding

I was wondering if there was anyone in the Tacoma area who might have experience doing the hotdog/wedge type of forge welding axe heads together and has a forge with a wide enough mouth and would be willing to walk me through it in person. I decided to go this route rather than bend the bar to a right angle while hot which would be difficult given my limited tools. I can bring the steel hammer and drifts and some beer in exchange for a hands on tutorial. Thanks, ive tried it several times before on my own and keep failing, I can forge weld cable together but not this for some odd reason....

Paul

Hi Mike, just let me know when you are available and we can work a time out, I will now spend part of today working on making the wedge or hotdog for the bun. right now its about 5 inches long and about an inch square so I should probably flatten it out some. :D

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to thank Forger for taking the time to come out today and show me where I was going wrong and explaining axe making to me so I can actually understand it now....Next step is practice practice....so I can make a really nice cable bearded axe. Thank you again Mike...

Paul