I Forge Iron

Fire bricks or that wool stuff?

Mastershake

I have been using a coal mini forge I built myself and want to upgrade to using propane. I want to build a forced air propane forge and had a few quick questions.

Which is better and lasts longer in this type of forge, fire brick or that wool stuff with the protectant painted on it?

Where does the combustion take place in a forced air propane forge, actually after the nozzle inside the forge of where the propane is delivered farther up in the assembly?

Thanks to whoever replies!

Hi depends on the shape as to what is easier..wool on the round with a layer of refractory and topped by itc-100...a rectangular I would use the lightweight firebrick which usually dose'n't need anything on it with a hard brick floor..look at the one I just finished and posted on here..everybody has their own ideas when it comes to a gasforge... larry zoeller has a great site for ideas ....I think a forge with the refractory over wool would last longer..and the flame is in the forge...

It holds up pretty good unless your stabbing it with metal and moving it all over the place. Its actually pretty hard once its fired a couple of times. I like to have that with a brick bottom to sat your work on. I think thats the best of both worlds for my situation.

It holds up pretty good unless your stabbing it with metal and moving it all over the place. Its actually pretty hard once its fired a couple of times. I like to have that with a brick bottom to sat your work on. I think thats the best of both worlds for my situation.

Thanks for the information, I will probably go this route.