I Forge Iron

West African Blacksmith

I was thinking some of you might enjoy seeing a West African blacksmith shop. I thought about this after the post about standing problems. This guy shouldn't have that problem, but if i worked in that position all day I would have other problems. Tell me what you think.

I hope the picture shows in here ok. This is my first attempt at posting one.

2187.attach

I'm always interested in seeing African blacksmiths. When I was over there last year this is how they worked. Where I was at they didn't have such a nice anvil. They used a small stump/spike anvil in a buried log or a small chunk of railroad track loose. I appreciate my shop. If all goes well I'll go back next year.

Hi, That sight looks very familiar to me. I spent some time a few years ago in the Great Thar Desert, Western Rajasthan, India, working with the Gaduliya Lohar, a nomadic tribe of Blacksmiths- it was amazing to see the skill and the amazing things they could make-- almost like something out of nothing... to me it brings back the ''ancients'' if you know what I mean. Would be interested to see more photos of this sort of rudimentary smithing around the world- if you want to see more photos of my time in india, go to my website, www.colleendupon.co.uk and click on research... I shall try to upload more photos as I think some of you might find it interesting.