I Forge Iron

well here she is

Good for you!! What Macburce said about the chipped edges, you want to radius them using a flapper wheel on your grinder. Wire buff the thing, wipe a thin layer of light oil on her and get to work! I did notice what appears to be a bad spot near the center edge of the chipped edge. it looks as this is cracked both top and side of the anvil and if it is hit could break on off. Just be aware of it when using the edge. Good price for a good anvil. curious as to the weight, and can you see any markings on the sides?

Thanks guys. Im sure there is a thread about this process or I at least hope so lol. This is my first anvil. By radius im guessing you mean round off the edge? Hand grinder?

Yep' hand grinder with a flap wheel or soft pad 80-120 grit....3/8 radius on the rough side and less on the other. That anvil still has sharp corners for such an old one, too bad it wasn't done sooner and it may not have chipped in the first place....

Ok so got her home and wiped her down a bit now I can see a few things. Looks like "Fisher" then another word I can't quite make out. Then in middle is is either "143" or "148" then a little after that I believe the word "PATENT". Still trying to make out a little more.

FISHER!! Good job man! the caddie of the cast iron anvils! The old timers didn't like them when they first came out because it didn't 'ring'! but the rebound is there for sure and THAT is what you want. Ringing anvils hurts ears! but they are good for demos as they tend to "call 'em in". I would use a 4.5" grinder with a flap wheel, some call them 'tiger wheels' and softly grind the edges starting approx 1" from the corner and gradually taper off to nothing. I wouldn't touch the other side if it was mine. I would be careful with the spot I mentioned in my earlier post, I really believe it is about to come off and with a blow from the hammer I am most sure it will. Sweet......
The 143 or 148 would be the weight.

Thanks for all the help Thomas. Your right about the crack it does look like it would come off if worked on. I guess im just gonna radius thatvwhole side. The opposite side is fine so I will leave it alone like you said. Any way to date this thing?

Does anyone have any pics of an anvil that has been radiused? Just for reference so I can see what I'm aiming for when doing this.

All we're talkin about is rounding/dressing the corners much the same as you would a new hammer. The LH edge in the forefront on my Peddinghaus is radiused about the curve of a dime or 3/8'' radius.....

post-15096-0-51811500-1342312877_thumb.j