I Forge Iron

New here from East Texas

Hello everyone. I'm Justin from Athens, Texas. 29 years old and married with kiddos. Bigtime knife freak and have been wanting to get into blacksmithing for quite some time.

Finally was able to acquire me a nice forge so hoping to get going soon(waiting on coal to arrive). Anyway just wanted to introduce myself. I'm sure I will be doing way more reading than posting for a while but glad to be here and hope to learn all I can.

Howdy Neighbor! Good to see you join up. We texted back and forth this past weeken about anvils. Check out this site, http://ntxba.org/ this is the ABANA group in the Dallas area. You can check the site for meetings coming up, also they are having the Hammerfest on Labor Day weekend with 8 demonstrators!! Should be an excellent time. again, check the site for details. I will be in the Austin area that weekend celebrating our youngest Grandson's 1st birthday. If you are ever in the area give me a holler, my shop is always open!! Again, welcome and enjoy the site

Welcome JustinJ, You could not be more fortunate, to be so close to Thomas Dean in Hallsville. Most of the blacksmithing community is a very sharing bunch, but Thomas is over the top. Go take a beginners class from him. He will put you on the true path and save you time and money. Then begin to take every opportunity to hang out with like minded people. The East Texas Group is fairly defunct now, so go meet the guys at ntxba.org and habairon.org(Houston). The ntxba.org event, labor day wknd, will be a great event to start. I will be there Sat. and Sun. For you, go see Gordon Williams, he will light a fire under you. HABA has an event Oct 5-7 that would be excellent for you. Come to the Combo-Demo Feb 16,2013 at Steephollow Forgeworks in Bryan, it's free. Alan Lee