I Forge Iron

Champion blower

post-74-0-77125000-1341780338_thumb.jpg

I've had a number of 400's go through my hands, and I'm not quite sure how they are measured. Presently, I have two which I just measured a few minutes ago. I measured the outside diameter of the cast fan case, excluding the screw bosses. The pictured one has a 9" OD fan case, and my other one has a 12" OD case. I think the 12" cases were fairly common. My 9" one is deceiving. It puts out an amazing amount of air with little physical effort.

My 9" (case size) puts out tons 'o air too and that thing turns so nice. The larger case sizes turn harder and I don't think they put out more air, but the catalog says so................

You can crank the thing w/o the fan on the shaft and they spin free. Bolt the 12" case size fan on, it really takes a load to move it. The 12" case is made for the larger multipurpose forges and the 9" is the rivet/pan forge.

This is my 9" 400. It was painted blue. I cleaned it up, inside and out, but I thought it looked so nice polished, that I oiled it and left it be. It was my first 400 and thought they are built overcomplicated compared to other Champion models.

post-21170-0-38607000-1341921831_thumb.j

The casting letters and numbers?? Yes, the later ones do that. The date(s) you see don't mean it was built then. That is the patent date (not built date) The very early ones had very little in terms of numbers and letters. Or was that the last of the production run....................? I don't know. I can send along a picture of one that does not if I find it in my files....

post-21170-0-88077500-1342098093_thumb.j