I Forge Iron

I.D. on this fire pot ?

Pug}{maN

It's a Champion. The clinker breaker rotated and had a so-called pick that poked through either of the side tuyere slots. The hole would be rectangular of the size of the upper pot excluding the flanges. The pot is dropped through the hole and sits on the tool-rest flanges, fore and aft. I line my hearths with Portland cement mixed with sand, about 1 : 3. The resulting concrete slurry can be stuffed under the two side flanges and raised to the level of those flange tops. The concrete then extends throughout the hearth at that height. Instead of a kicking ash dump, you would have a pivoting slide at the bottom of the ash barrel. A 3/8" rod could be attached to the slide and extend up to the lip of the hearth where it could rest on a small forged hook when not in use.

Yes, regular Portland sold in the bag mixed with sand; one part Portland to three parts sand. Mix it into a slurry and slop it on. It won't get very hot in use. The hot portion of your fire is about a softball sized "sweet spot" in the firepot, a couple inches above and below hearth height. At a later time, if you get any breaks in the concrete, you can easily patch them. You won't need furnace cement.

MUST it have concrete? No. You can just have the pot flange sitting on a metal plate, but then the flanges are above hearth height. To my way of thinking, that kind of setup is a lazy man's job, half-done.