I Forge Iron

Poll - What is your primary forging hammer?

What is your primary forging hammer?
97 votes were turned in.

Cross pein ( ---- | ) as you look at the pein
46 votes or 47.4%

Straight pein ( ---- -- ) as you look at the pein
18 votes or 18.6%

Ball pein ( ----- o )
15 votes or 15.5%

Diagonal or slash pein ( ---- ) as you look at the pein
8 votes or 8.2%

Diagonal or slash pein ( ---- / ) as you look at the pein
5 votes or 5.2%

Double faced Sledge, no pein ( o----o )
5 votes or 5.2%

Carpenters hammer ( -----? )
0 votes or 0%

There was some discussion on the proper names and configuration of the peen. From what I have found on the internet and in asking other blacksmiths a straight peen hammer has the peen in line or parallel or straight with the handle (----- ---). A cross peen has the peen turned cross ways or 90* to the direction of the handle (----- |). My graphics leave much to the imagination but (----- ) would be the handle and ( | ) would be the peen so (----- |) would represent a cross peen hammer.

Thank you for your votes and comments.

This is the hammer I use most of the time. About 1 3/4 pound, traditional English pattern cross pien. I forged it from H13. I have used a couple of hammers of this shape and size as well as this handle shape for over 15 years. Not long after I made one of these, I also stopped using a death grip, then stopped wearing an elbow wrap and haven't since. With this handle, I can pretty well keep my hand in the proper position while changing the angle of the hammer face or switch in mid swing to the pien. Not only can I choke up for light work I can also get out on the end of the handle to get more power. The handle is hickory and feels really nice in my hand.

2112.attach

2113.attach

What is your primary forging hammer?
97 votes were turned in.

Cross pein ( ---- | ) as you look at the pein
46 votes or 47.4%

Straight pein ( ---- -- ) as you look at the pein
18 votes or 18.6%

Ball pein ( ----- o )
15 votes or 15.5%

Diagonal or slash pein ( ---- ) as you look at the pein
8 votes or 8.2%

Diagonal or slash pein ( ---- / ) as you look at the pein
5 votes or 5.2%

Double faced Sledge, no pein ( o----o )
5 votes or 5.2%

Carpenters hammer ( -----? )
0 votes or 0%

There was some discussion on the proper names and configuration of the peen. From what I have found on the internet and in asking other blacksmiths a straight peen hammer has the peen in line or parallel or straight with the handle (----- ---). A cross peen has the peen turned cross ways or 90* to the direction of the handle (----- |). My graphics leave much to the imagination but (----- ) would be the handle and ( | ) would be the peen so (----- |) would represent a cross peen hammer.

Thank you for your votes and comments.